Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim \(not at home\) tim \(not at home\) is offline

Default Little boxes made of ticky tacky

"Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote in message
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Working in a local new build today, houses are springing up all over the
place round here.

Fixed a clock to a wall, single screw, clock had one of those upside down
keyhole slots. Downstairs cloakroom was on the other side of the wall.
Fixed a towel rail to the wall. Tapped the plugs into the holes with the
handle of a screwdriver and the wall shook so badly the bloody clock fell
off! Landed on a settee luckily and was undamaged.

Still in the downstairs cloak, fitting a toilet roll holder. Dropped a
screw, rested my forearm on the lid of the WC to reach down & get it &
the piggin lid cracked in half! As thick as a fag paper. Replaced it
like for like from B&Q for £8.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I was visiting my sister-in-law last year in Wem, Shropshire.
They've just moved into a new-build.

I had some minor DIY to do, messing about with sockets etc.
( In the heathen part-p lands south of the border, no less :-) )

All the non-structural internal partitions were constructed like this:

The internal 'framing' was metal ( I use the term 'metal' loosely, tinfoil
might be a better description. ) strips, along the roof and floor, and
uprights spaced alarmingly far apart ( well over 600mm, closer to
1000mm ). No dwangs or noggins or whatever local term you like between the
uprights. Plasterboard on each side, attached like sails to this sparse
tinfoil chassis. Total thickness around 3".

1) Was there a skim of plaster on the boards?

2) Was there sound proofing inside the wall?

tim