Posted to uk.d-i-y
Franko Franko is offline

Default Little boxes made of ticky tacky

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Working in a local new build today, houses are springing up all over the
place round here.

Fixed a clock to a wall, single screw, clock had one of those upside down
keyhole slots. Downstairs cloakroom was on the other side of the wall.
Fixed a towel rail to the wall. Tapped the plugs into the holes with the
handle of a screwdriver and the wall shook so badly the bloody clock fell
off! Landed on a settee luckily and was undamaged.

Still in the downstairs cloak, fitting a toilet roll holder. Dropped a
screw, rested my forearm on the lid of the WC to reach down & get it & the
piggin lid cracked in half! As thick as a fag paper. Replaced it like
for like from B&Q for £8.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Sounds like plasterboard laminating to me, did some myself about 20 years
ago and hated it. Flimsy battens about 20mm or so at floor & ceilng lines
with intermediate studs, board one side with 12.5mm plasterboard using nails
( just about wrecking it already ), then a layer of plank (19mm
plasterboard) on the other side fixed with sloppy drywall adhesive, complete
with rough cutouts for sockets, cables and other services, this is then
followed by another layer of 12.5mm board using the adhesive.
Quite solid once it's gone off but I could never make any money doing it and
it seemed a very complicated way of building a wall !
I'd be very concerned if they are allowed to build walls such as this with
all the new regulations in force today.
Franko.