Patrick Fitzgerald

Default clean table saw - table

[posted and mailed]

TD wrote in :

For some very bad reasons my table saw table has been neglected for a
couple of years. As a result it is rusted in spots.
What is the best way to get it back in top shape?

I tried several methods, but found that the best was to use an "abrasive
block". Very fast at removing the rust, doesn't damage the table, plus you
can use to maintain the table in the future. You can get a set of three
from Highland Hardware for $15 (www.highlandhardware.com, search for "rust
eraser"). When the table is clean use your choice of protectants - Top-Cote
spray, paste wax, etc.

Here's the description from the website:

Silicon carbide abrasive mixed throughout each rubbery Rust Eraser block
scrubs rust, corrosion or tarnish off any metal in a hurry and leaves a
beautiful polish. The resilient consistency of the 3" x 2" x 3/4" blocks
lets them mold themselves to fit contoured surfaces, and cushions so that
even 60 grit won't cause deep scratches. These are the fastest, most cost-
effective hand tools we know of for eliminating rust and stains on tools,
rules, clamps & hardware. Set includes one each of Coarse (60 grit), Medium
(120 grit) and Fine (240 grit) Rust Erasers.