Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default ice cube madness

wrote in message

notbob wrote:
On 2008-03-18, PD wrote:

described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.

I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in
June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it
tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.

I agree. Used to be able to buy 4lb of shrimp in blocks of ice. It would
keep almost forever and taste nearly fresh upon melting. These newer
packaging methods using flash freezing are already somewhat mummified right
out of the market. Nowhere near the moisture and freshness. This also
works for fish you catch yourself. Put in topless milk cartons full of
water and freeze. The meat retains it's firmness and moisture. I never
tried this with other than fish or seafood. I'm not sure it would work too
well with herd animal flesh. Maybe.

nb

I used to always freeze fish in plastic grocery bags and they would go
bad pretty fast. A shame ending a fishes
life by keeping them and not even using them. The carton method isn't
very practical for me, Any ideas for
freezing fish to last at least a month?

Do what I mentioned earlier. I served salmon that had been iced this way a year
earlier to a very avid fisherman once. He complimented me on how fresh it
tasted.

The thicker layer of ice, the longer it lasts, so multiple coats help.