Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Failure of strap may have caused NY crane collapse

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:41:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

Ignoramus547 wrote:

The townhouse that was destroyed by the crane, contained a bar whose
name was "Fubar".

Very good picture here

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/nyregion/18crane.html

You can see presumably CM lever hoists creatively used, there. (the
article calls them "manual winches").

I don't see anything "creative" about it. Using a set of manual lever
hoists attached to a load or hang point with nylon slings to lift and
position a load is pretty normal. The question is what were the ratings
of those slings and lever hoists and the weight of the load?

City inspector charged for false reports

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ase/index.html

Not good, but from that report it sounds like he was practically a
volunteer given the cost of living in the area.

A grand a week is "volunteer" work? I wish I were rich like you,
Pete.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs

One question to consider is what was the CONDITION of the straps. Nylon
becomes very brittle when exposed to sunlight for long periods and it
also cuts very easily when under tension. Could be there was a sharp or
rough edge somewhere that the strap passed over and when tension was
applied it just cut. Saw some graphic demonstrations of that when I was
a loadmaster doing air drop. An 8 ply extration sling under tension
from the extration chute can be cut in one or two swipes with a not
necessarily sharp survival knife. Tends to open ones eyes, it does.

Jim