Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default Union productivity..... not!

Why is the business owner greedy, and YOU are not?

That's simple. It's because the owner believes that his contribution to

the
combined effort it takes to produce a good or service is worth more than

it
really is and that the workers' contribution is worth less than it

really
is.

First off I just proved you wrong by answering your question.

He's invested his own time and, likely, thousands of dollars buying
equipment, setting up facilities, etc.

He pays SS taxes above and beyond what is deducted from your pay.

He often pays property taxes on the facility and equipment.

He often keeps workers on during slow times - paying them from his

"excess"
profits - even when they are not producing enough to cover their

paychecks.

In SOME industries, YOU carry in a few hundred dollars worth of hand
tools.....but the first hour's worth of pay - less deductions - goes
straight into your pocket.

It's true that the owner has to take a risk that the worker does not and
that is one reason why the owner should get more than a worker does. Also
his job of taking a risk, managing the business, and being responsible for
everything that happens on the job makes his job more important than any
worker. But it's a question of how much should the owner get compared to the
workers; because if you don't have both then you don't have a profitable
company, and everyone loses.

It really boils down to what's fair. He doesn't want the worker to
receive a fair portion of what the business produces. A worker that is

fair
wants a fair days wage for a honest day's work. A GREEDY owner wants to
exploit the worker by not giving him a fair portion of what the business
earns. He wants to do this so he can keep it all for himself. Take a
business that installs drywall. In the past he hired American workers

and
paid the prevailing rate and benefits. Now he hires illegals, pays them

10
bucks and hour cash without benefits, and fires the American workers.

That's
how the greedy guy does it. All he cares about is him getting ahead and

no
one else.

I'm sure, when the union strikes, they are concerned about the business

and
how it will survive.....right?

They would NEVER back a business owner's back to the wall in order to gain
- would they?

You talk a lot about "fairness", but the union seems to want to use every
unfair tactic available to it just to squeeze a little more from "the

Man".

As I've said before, union shops - including teaching - are the most angry
places I have ever worked.

So you changed the subject to unions and strikes when I pointed out how many
owners take advantage of workers for their benefit. That must mean you know
it's true. As for strikes a union does that as a last resort. Most union
members lose money when they have to strike and they only do it when they
think management isn't negotiating in good faith. They also know that if
they force the business to close both sides lose. Over and over it's always
the same, owners don't want to pay fair or prevailing wages. It doesn't
matter how profitable the business, is if they can lower labor costs it puts
more money in their pocket. If you don't make them play fair they will screw
you. Are you really so gullible that you blindly trust all businesses to be
fair? You know you're always getting a fair deal from used car dealers,
mechanics, and other businessmen? It's the same for unions. They have to
make sure they are getting treated fairly. Unfortunate isn't it, but that's
the way it is.

There are thousands of examples like this. My working for him and
wanting to be treated fairly is different. Selling my labor at fair

market
value isn't exploiting anyone. Greedy owners exploit others' weakness

for
his own gain. I'm sure you know of examples of this just as well as I

do.
It's not uncommon.

You assume EVERY business owner is greedy.

No I don't. In fact most businesses are not bad but they are like people,
there's good ones and there are bad ones. The bad ones give a bad name to
the good ones. You see the problem if only a few business owners are greedy
but they run the big companies. A few big bad apples makes a lot of
problems. Lots of little businessmen don't do that much harm. For example a
big hotel chain brings in a lot of Mexicans to work for cheap pay but that's
all it takes to affect everyone.

Yet you give every business owner reason why the union is also greedy?

Unions aren't perfect. I never said they were but the main job they have is
to negotiate fair deals with management. Owners always think the workers
want too much and the workers think the same about the owners. Both are
usually right. But that is why they negotiate and if you don't have a union
representing you when you negotiate with a big company you take it in the
shorts.

Name calling isn't the best base for a business relationship.

Walk into my shop and call me a "greedy SOB", and I'll guarantee you will
regret it before everything is all said and done.

Well, I am a big enough boy that I can say just about anything I want to
anyone and not worry about them not liking it. If I had reason to believe
you were a greedy SOB I'm here to tell you that I would say exactly that. If
you took offense so be it. The difference between us is you couldn't call me
any names and get me to physically attack you for it. I don't know about
you. But I do know how to defend my self very well if you are unable to
control your emotions.

Which of your ass cheeks has the union seal tattooed on it, and which ass
cheek has the "libruls rule!" tattoo? (I'm assuming you went to a union
tattoo parlor where spelling is not paramount.)

I'm too smart to have any tattoos, too old too. The only time in my life I
was in a union was when I was a retail clerk when I was a fifteen year old
box boy. I didn't like paying dues either. I'm pro union because I have a
college education and know what America was like for workers before unions.
I guess no one ever told you about those things. If you knew why unions were
formed maybe you wouldn't be against them like a knee jerk right winger and
make the mistake of thinking you have to be a liberal to be pro union.

Hawke