Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Failure of strap may have caused NY crane collapse

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 23:41:20 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

Ignoramus547 wrote:

The townhouse that was destroyed by the crane, contained a bar whose
name was "Fubar".

Very good picture here

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/nyregion/18crane.html

You can see presumably CM lever hoists creatively used, there. (the
article calls them "manual winches").

I don't see anything "creative" about it. Using a set of manual lever
hoists attached to a load or hang point with nylon slings to lift and
position a load is pretty normal. The question is what were the ratings
of those slings and lever hoists and the weight of the load?

City inspector charged for false reports

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ase/index.html

Not good, but from that report it sounds like he was practically a
volunteer given the cost of living in the area.

A grand a week is "volunteer" work? I wish I were rich like you,
Pete.

That's more like $900/wk gross. I make double that, live in a much lower
cost of living area, drive a 10yr old truck and I'm not rich.