David A. Frantz

Default Is a radial saw more versitile than a table saw?

Hi Takashi;

Here is my take on your query.

1. You really haven't indicated what your interests are so everything
below can easly be called into question.

2. I look at RAS as old technology that may still be useful in some
applications but has many modern replacements. A RAS DOES NOT HAVE A
PLACE in the shop of a wood worker starting out.

3. The decision as to which major piece of machinery one should purchase
is difficult to make. Many people would reccomend a table saw, but that
was not the route I took. The route you take may be totally different
from everyone else.

4. In my case one of the first power tools that I purchased was a CMS.
Not so much for my interest in woodworking projects but for the reality
that I was doing alot of trim work around (remodeling) the house. This
just points out that sometimes your purchase will be driven by a projects
need.

5. Several year later I find myself buying not a table saw but a band
saw. The rational behind that purchase is specific to my interest.
First; there is no beter machine for riping/resawing rough cut lumber.
Second; I'm currently extremely limited in shop space, a permanently
installed table saw would take up to much space. Third a band saw, for
some operations, is cleaner and safer to use. Fourth any large panel typ
work that I may need to do I can still handle with my circular saw, on the
other hand a band saw can do things that I did not have a tool for.

So you see this is my perspective, for others it may be total garbage.
What you need to do is figure out where your interests are, how much space
you have and how much money you want to spend. In any event keep the
thought of a RAS out of your mind for now. That is unless you get a deal
at an auction or and estate sale, then all bets are off.

Dave

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:48:14 +0000, takashi wrote:

Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.