Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Bond. James Bond.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:57:15 GMT, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

Well, maybe not James Bond, but a bonding question. I have just
completed building new rip fence rails for my table saw and just have
one more thing to do. I need to attach a rule.

I have looked at a few things but it seems that I am down to about two
choices since I want this done on the cheap. Cheap meaning just a
couple of bucks if possible. I know. After spending the money and
doing all the work so far, why scrimp a buck or two now? But I have
scrimped the whole thing and have maybe $30 invested in the rails. I
don't want to spend a whole third of that amount just to attach a rule.
And now, it is just the finding out how to do it.

Anyway, I have been thinking about buying a refill for a standard tape
measure and using the first part of it. But "bond"ing the curved spring
steel to the fence rail is seeming like a problem. I will have to see
if I can find a refill for one of the flat tape measures, but that is
another topic.

I have sacrificed an old tape measure that I had laying around that had
been accidentally left out in a few rains so it got a little rusty. I
knew it would come in handy for something someday. I sanded a couple of
feet of the back of it down to bare metal and tried to "bond" it to a
scrap of steel (the same type used for the fence rail). The first time
I tried JB weld (would that be "James Bond" weld???), and the second
time I used a 5 min epoxy. I currently have a third try using a
"industrial" contact cement, but I am not expecting much from it.

I cleaned both parts so I am sure that there was bare clean metal. The
JB weld and the epoxy both seemed to work at first. The tape was stuck
down flat to the metal But it didn't take very much effort to separate
the tape from the steel. Little enough effort that I don't think the
"bond" would last very long at all. It was easier than pulling blue
painters tape off of a roll.

So. How could I "bond" this steel tape measure to a piece of steel
square tubing keeping the operative word "cheap" in mind?

TIA,

Wayne

Look for a flat aluminum yardstick at Wal-Mawrt, paint stores and/or
lumberyards.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-al...i-1285788.html
Use machine screws rather than glue. They're cheaper and work better.
Try a tackle shop for stick-on rulers intended to stick on the
(in)side of a boat to check fish for legal size.
http://tinyurl.com/2q4u5c

Either of these might be available free or close to it if they bear
advertising.