Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bond. James Bond.

Well, maybe not James Bond, but a bonding question. I have just
completed building new rip fence rails for my table saw and just have
one more thing to do. I need to attach a rule.

I have looked at a few things but it seems that I am down to about two
choices since I want this done on the cheap. Cheap meaning just a
couple of bucks if possible. I know. After spending the money and
doing all the work so far, why scrimp a buck or two now? But I have
scrimped the whole thing and have maybe $30 invested in the rails. I
don't want to spend a whole third of that amount just to attach a rule.
And now, it is just the finding out how to do it.

Anyway, I have been thinking about buying a refill for a standard tape
measure and using the first part of it. But "bond"ing the curved spring
steel to the fence rail is seeming like a problem. I will have to see
if I can find a refill for one of the flat tape measures, but that is
another topic.

I have sacrificed an old tape measure that I had laying around that had
been accidentally left out in a few rains so it got a little rusty. I
knew it would come in handy for something someday. I sanded a couple of
feet of the back of it down to bare metal and tried to "bond" it to a
scrap of steel (the same type used for the fence rail). The first time
I tried JB weld (would that be "James Bond" weld???), and the second
time I used a 5 min epoxy. I currently have a third try using a
"industrial" contact cement, but I am not expecting much from it.

I cleaned both parts so I am sure that there was bare clean metal. The
JB weld and the epoxy both seemed to work at first. The tape was stuck
down flat to the metal But it didn't take very much effort to separate
the tape from the steel. Little enough effort that I don't think the
"bond" would last very long at all. It was easier than pulling blue
painters tape off of a roll.

So. How could I "bond" this steel tape measure to a piece of steel
square tubing keeping the operative word "cheap" in mind?

TIA,

Wayne

P.S. I have seen a few adhesive back rules made just for this purpose
but so far have not found one that has the measurements laid out in a
way that I like. Besides they are 9 bucks and up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:57:15 GMT, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

[...]

Look for a flat aluminum yardstick at Wal-Mawrt, paint stores and/or
lumberyards.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-al...i-1285788.html
Use machine screws rather than glue. They're cheaper and work better.
Try a tackle shop for stick-on rulers intended to stick on the
(in)side of a boat to check fish for legal size.
http://tinyurl.com/2q4u5c

Either of these might be available free or close to it if they bear
advertising.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 4:57 pm, NoOne N Particular wrote:
[...]

I admit they seem a bit overpriced.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=432

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:57:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, NoOne
N Particular quickly quoth:

Well, maybe not James Bond, but a bonding question. I have just
completed building new rip fence rails for my table saw and just have
one more thing to do. I need to attach a rule.

Try Lee Valley for sticky rules.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43513,43517

Harbor Fright also used to carry them but I can't find them today.

But speaking of James Bond, anyone ever used one of these?
I'm looking at the picture and trying to figure out how they get the
little bastid to -do- all that.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:09:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I admit they seem a bit overpriced.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=432

Karl

I don't know how durable they are, but I've bought stick-on tape
measures in fabric stores for cheap. Singer was the manufacturer (OK,
distributor), IIRC. I used them on an optical bench, where wear wasn't
much of an issue.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

$5.05, right to left model at http://www.woodzone.com/
48"
Probably work ok.

wws

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snippage

Look for a flat aluminum yardstick at Wal-Mawrt, paint stores and/or
lumberyards.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-al...i-1285788.html
Use machine screws rather than glue. They're cheaper and work better.
Try a tackle shop for stick-on rulers intended to stick on the
(in)side of a boat to check fish for legal size.
http://tinyurl.com/2q4u5c

Either of these might be available free or close to it if they bear
advertising.

I have seen a couple of the aluminum yardsticks. Most of the ones that
I have seen are wider than I have room for and I guess there are two
more things that I should have mentioned. 1)- I am looking for 48" and
2)- I haven't seen any rulers or "yardsticks" that long that are thin
enough. The fence would then ride on the ruler instead of the fence rails.

Now the tackle shop stick on rulers. Hmmmm. I just don't know about
trying to find an accurate ruler in a fishing supply store. :-) HONEST
OFFICER, MY RULER SAYS IT IS OVER LEGAL SIZE!! Seriously though. I
wonder how accurate they would be.

Thanks anyway.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I admit they seem a bit overpriced.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=432

Karl

I have seen these and it may come down to one of those. I think they
are $8.99 at Rockler, but their's are yellow.

Thanks,

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I admit they seem a bit overpriced.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=432

Karl

I don't know how durable they are, but I've bought stick-on tape
measures in fabric stores for cheap. Singer was the manufacturer (OK,
distributor), IIRC. I used them on an optical bench, where wear wasn't
much of an issue.

Joe

Actually my wife suggested one of those, but I would also question the
accuracy with them.

Thanks,

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SNIPPAGE

Karl

$5.05, right to left model at http://www.woodzone.com/
48"
Probably work ok.

wws

I will look into those too.

Thanks,

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:57:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, NoOne
N Particular quickly quoth:

Well, maybe not James Bond, but a bonding question. I have just
completed building new rip fence rails for my table saw and just have
one more thing to do. I need to attach a rule.

Try Lee Valley for sticky rules.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43513,43517

Harbor Fright also used to carry them but I can't find them today.

But speaking of James Bond, anyone ever used one of these?
I'm looking at the picture and trying to figure out how they get the
little bastid to -do- all that.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs

The Lee Valley rule looks ok, but according to their website it costs $8
bucks to send a $6.50 tape so we are back near $15 total!!!!

Thanks anyway,

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 19, 9:57*pm, NoOne N Particular wrote:
Well, maybe not James Bond, but a bonding question. *I have just
completed building new rip fence rails for my table saw and just have
one more thing to do. *I need to attach a rule.

So. *How could I "bond" this steel tape measure to a piece of steel
square tubing keeping the operative word "cheap" in mind?

TIA,

Wayne

P.S. *I have seen a few adhesive back rules made just for this purpose
but so far have not found one that has the measurements laid out in a
way that I like. *Besides they are 9 bucks and up.

Starrett sell a variety of adhesive-backed steel tapes - various
lengths, left to right and right to left, English and metric. Hard to
imagine they wouldn't have what you want. Don't know about the
prices.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:23:36 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

No, no, no, no, no. You've got it all wrong, Wayne. Any good tool
collector knows that if you purchase dozens of different tools at one
time, the shipping fee is distributed so that shipping on any given
tool is only 15 cents.

Stock up! LVT is great stuff. (They were a really great deal before
Shrub's US dollar went into the dumpster.)

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:06:52 -0700, NoOne N Particular
wrote:

Snippage

Look for a flat aluminum yardstick at Wal-Mawrt, paint stores and/or
lumberyards.
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-ace-al...i-1285788.html
Use machine screws rather than glue. They're cheaper and work better.
Try a tackle shop for stick-on rulers intended to stick on the
(in)side of a boat to check fish for legal size.
http://tinyurl.com/2q4u5c

Either of these might be available free or close to it if they bear
advertising.

I have seen a couple of the aluminum yardsticks. Most of the ones that
I have seen are wider than I have room for and I guess there are two
more things that I should have mentioned. 1)- I am looking for 48" and
2)- I haven't seen any rulers or "yardsticks" that long that are thin
enough. The fence would then ride on the ruler instead of the fence rails.

Get yourself the first four feet of a fifty foot steel tape - the kind
with a crank on the side of the case. Flat, 1/2" wide, 0.003" thick,
finish of your choice - stainless,white, or yellow.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SNIPPAGE

Stock up! LVT is great stuff. (They were a really great deal before
Shrub's US dollar went into the dumpster.)

One of the reasons that I have to do this on the cheap is because of
that very reason. Last time I went to Rockler's was to get some simple
knobs and I left $200 later without the knobs. But I had some kool
stuff. I even needed SOME of it. NEEDED! HAD TO HAVE IT! Yeah! I
needed ALL of it. Unfortunately, my budget is now blown for the rest of
the year and I don't really have money to buy wood. :-)

Wayne

I need to find a way to stop buying gas. In two days I spent $160 on
gas for my cars. $98 for diesel fuel in my pickup and $62 for my car.
Ouch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

NoOne N Particular wrote:

SNIPPAGE

Stock up! LVT is great stuff. (They were a really great deal before
Shrub's US dollar went into the dumpster.)

One of the reasons that I have to do this on the cheap is because of
that very reason. Last time I went to Rockler's was to get some simple
knobs and I left $200 later without the knobs. But I had some kool
stuff. I even needed SOME of it. NEEDED! HAD TO HAVE IT! Yeah! I
needed ALL of it. Unfortunately, my budget is now blown for the rest of
the year and I don't really have money to buy wood. :-)

I've been picking up oddball pallets that the dealers don't want.
I've picked up several 10 ' and 12' foot, and the place has plenty more.
I am going to use some of it for workbenches.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 03:17:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, NoOne
N Particular quickly quoth:

SNIPPAGE

Stock up! LVT is great stuff. (They were a really great deal before
Shrub's US dollar went into the dumpster.)

One of the reasons that I have to do this on the cheap is because of
that very reason. Last time I went to Rockler's was to get some simple
knobs and I left $200 later without the knobs. But I had some kool
stuff. I even needed SOME of it. NEEDED! HAD TO HAVE IT! Yeah! I
needed ALL of it. Unfortunately, my budget is now blown for the rest of
the year and I don't really have money to buy wood. :-)

OK, you're off the hook for now.

I need to find a way to stop buying gas. In two days I spent $160 on
gas for my cars. $98 for diesel fuel in my pickup and $62 for my car.
Ouch.

An old buddy of mine was working for a motor home manufacturer where
he bought a small water pump. He installed it with a switch in his
trunk and had a 120' inlet hose and 6' outlet. His GTO had the gas cap
under the license plate. His neighbor, a mean guy, parked his morot
home close to my buddy's driveway so the inlet hose reached. When my
buddy needed gas to feed the 3 hungry deuces on the 389 motor, he'd
visit the neighbor's motor home.

I absolutely don't recommend this; instead I recommend installing a
locking gas cap on each of your vehicles. I need to do the same thing
for my new truck. The old Ford has two, one for each tank.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly
is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I absolutely don't recommend this; instead I recommend installing a
locking gas cap on each of your vehicles. I need to do the same thing
for my new truck. The old Ford has two, one for each tank.

I'm not sure if locking gas caps are necessary on newer vehicles
anymore. The manufacturers have been installing anti-siphon devices in
them for 15 or 20 years now. At least Ford (my 1999 pickup) has. I
haven't tried my car yet which is a 93 Lexus.

But I had a 94 Chrysler New Yorker that took a header (so to speak) just
after filling the tank. I tried several things to get my gas out
including disconnecting the output line from the fuel pump and running
it into a container and then turning on the switch. A couple of other
things too. I gave up and called a couple of dealers and told them my
situation. They both said that the only way to get the gas out would be
to remove the tank. I finally went and spent $15 on a plastic siphon
pump (supposedly made for siphoning gas), took the sending unit out of
the tank, and siphoned out my $30 (more like $50 at todays prices) worth
of gas.

Wayne

Oh yeah. I did put the sending unit back in. :-)