Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

Pete C. wrote:
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or
so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb
question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve
The last carb I cleaned I used Simple Green in the Harbor Freight heated
ultrasonic cleaner. After a 10 min cycle in the cleaner I blew
everything clear and dry with compressed air, reassembled and the
formerly non-op carb worked perfectly.

Simple Green has been outlawed for use on aircraft by the Army and the
California Fire fighters. I seems that corrosion caused by Simple Green
caused failures in aircraft parts. There is a New concoction called Extreme
Simple Green that has been approved. I will only use Simple Green on the
concrete floor and then rinse it off completely.

Stu

Interesting. SG is one of the recommended cleaners for SCUBA regulators
and components.

SG attacks aluminum and some other metals if in contact for an extended
time. Same for Purple Cleaner AKA Super Clean.

But SG works real well for cleaning aluminum. You just have to rinse it
as soon as your are done. It would probably also do a good job on a
carb, but again, clean it out thoroughly.