Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"SteveB" writes:

I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or
so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb
question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

I'm a big fan of mineral spirits, which are commonly sold as paint
thinner. They are virtually the same thing as kerosene (I haven't
actually checked which one is cheaper).

"Mineral spirits," common paint thinner, is also known as Stoddard Solvent.
It's moderately active, somewhat less so than gasoline. A Coleman employee
once told me that this is what they used to sell as "white gasoline," but I
don't know that for a fact.

--
Ed Huntress