Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 02:09:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jim
Levie quickly quoth:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:56:12 -0500, aarcuda69062
wrote:

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

The last carb I cleaned I used Simple Green in the Harbor Freight heated
ultrasonic cleaner. After a 10 min cycle in the cleaner I blew
everything clear and dry with compressed air, reassembled and the
formerly non-op carb worked perfectly.

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?

The best way to clean a carb (or most other small parts) is with a
pail of carb cleaner. The best of those, in my opinion, are the ones
based on cresylic acid.

I agree, wholeheartedly. B-9 Chem Dip (no longer legal in CA) is
stinky stuff, but it works -extremely- well for those minute passages
which really need cleanout. For aerosols, Berryman's B-12 is tops,
and it can be used for starting fluid as well.

For washing with a brush, kerosene or diesel will work, but mineral
spirits works a bit better. In a parts washer Safety-Kleen is a bit
safer, firewise, and does a very good job.

Yes, Safety-Kleen is a very good kero substitute.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs