Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:38:29 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

SteveB wrote:

I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve

The last carb I cleaned I used Simple Green in the Harbor Freight heated
ultrasonic cleaner. After a 10 min cycle in the cleaner I blew
everything clear and dry with compressed air, reassembled and the
formerly non-op carb worked perfectly.

Didn't the ultrasound shake loose some of the pressed-in brass
orifices? I'd be hard pressed to try that option for that reason.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs