Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default ice cube madness

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:35:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

And it wasn't a prison, the residents weren't even criminals, and they
still stole from them.

If you are talking about the kitchen they stole from?

I don't think this kid or his father did the stealing itself, but the
food was marked "Dept. of Agriculture" maybe iirc and definitely
marked Not for Resale. The father ran the autoshop at the hospital,
and he knew who his customers were and where the food was coming from.
And I'm sure the son did too and 10 to 1 odds he told his girlfriend.
They got married a month after they moved out of my place. He didn't
answer the letter I wrote him. Embarrassed or angry, I'm sure. I'd
guess the odds were 50/50 he stopped taking the food. By now he would
have children in college. Maybe three generations are eating off that
food.

That creates hassles for the cooks and people who take inventory,
innocent employees being accused of theft and the bottom line.

Prison though, I don't see it matters, if they steal from the kitchen
they still steal from somebody.

As far as their stealing goes, you're right, it doesnt' matter, it's
stealing from the state of NY either way. But I tried to foresee the
kind of excuse someone in this situation would use, like, if this were
a prison, "They are criminals and they don't get adequately punished
anyhow, and we're just treating them the way they should be treated."
But even that, as phony as it it, doesn't apply here.

I didn't want to fight with them when they were living htere, but
after they left, I wrote them a letter saying more or less what I have
here. I'm sure his parents took even more food for his house than
these two did.

Yea I have seen this stealing and waste also. I've seen managers take
large unopened items then heard "I need another one because I left the
other one open."

Wow.

I say if your gonna steal it at least have some
respect for it. And don't think pretending you are entitled makes that
so, steal it, don't allow your co-workers to see what you are doing,
unless they do it too. Me I really don't want to see it.