Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] monkey_cartman@yahoo.com is offline

Default ice cube madness

PD wrote:
On Mar 18, 9:49�am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

In desparate cases, when the ice cubes are removed by the human on a
regular basis (resulting in few, if any, strays) the mites have been
known to use their ice grabbing tenticles to create a small hole in
freezer bags, allowing in just enough moisture for frost to form on
the stored object. This gives them another source of ice to numb their
gums.

On this note, it's been observed that if you want to freeze meat or
fish or shrimp and have it be just as good months later, a good
technique is to put the food in a ziplock bag and then fill the bag
full of water before zipping the bag shut. Freezer burn is due to
sublimation of the water in the food, and by the method just
described, the added water does the sublimating rather than the food.

That's a good thing to think about.

I tried this trick with same-day shrimp acquired in South Carolina in
June, and I thawed the last 2-lb bag for dinner in January, and it
tasted just like the shrimp cooked the first day.

PD

We get roadside roasted green chile every fall and there ends up
being lots of great liquid. Twist the top making
an ice seal by having wet hands when you twist it closed and a year
later it still will have that great fresh roasted green chile flavor.