Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

SteveB wrote:
I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve

Well for a decent non flammable cleaner in a wash tub Simple Green works
pretty well. I use it in my big tanks as well as in the ultrasonic
cleaner I use for carbs and injectors.
The acetone works good for cleaning carbs BUT you have to make sure that
no rubber parts are in there.

Kerosene can be purchased at most places that sell gasoline and diesel
fuel (which also makes a good BUT smelly cleaner) However all the
petroleum cleaners STINK and are flammable.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York