Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
aarcuda69062 aarcuda69062 is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve

The last carb I cleaned I used Simple Green in the Harbor Freight heated
ultrasonic cleaner. After a 10 min cycle in the cleaner I blew
everything clear and dry with compressed air, reassembled and the
formerly non-op carb worked perfectly.

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?