Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

I don't know how often you might want a really clean part, but the auto
parts stores sell a gallon can of carb cleaner that REALLY works. the
motor heads call it "boiling out the carb" to use it.
You don't heat the stuff, though.
The gallon can, like a paint can, has a basket inside that you toss the
parts into. Read the label.
Looks like brand new when done.
Costs $30. Lasts for many years with the lid on tight.

The auto stores also have less flammable solvents. One used to be
called "Stoddard Solvent".

Kerosene won't blow you up, but it sure is flammable. I agree with
another poster that diesel fuel works okay, just not quite as active as
kerosene. BTW, the diesel works well as a lubricant for cutting alumimum.
You'll pay through the nose, I think, if you buy Kerosene at a
hardware-type store.

Cleaning the exterior of engines:
Gunk, at the auto store. Couple of bucks a can.

I'd seriously avoid using gasoline around parts made of iron and steel,
at least. Acetone can't be much better. Wear gloves. I like the
orange colored "refinishing gloves" sold at Menard's and other places in
the Paint Aisle.

Take care,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------

SteveB wrote:
I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve