Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default ice cube madness

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:20:39 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

When I had roommates, it used to annoy me how they would fail to fill
up the ice cube trays after they used ice.

Eventually I got down to no roommates, but still they came in and used
my ice.

Eventually I figured out that the ice was sublimating, going from
solid to gas without passing through a liquid state. It happens
whenever there is air above the ice, and if you don't use your ice for
weeks or months like me, it's very noticeable.

They make some ice-cube trays that are bottles with caps. I tried one
and it worked but the cubes were little balls, and too small.