Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default ice cube madness

Dave Smith writes:

jmcquown wrote:

You've gotten some good answers. I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. It just seemed a curious thing to me.

There is a similar question about a boat full of iron ore sinking in a canal
lock. The water level does not change because floating objects displace water
equivalent to their weight.

True, but beyond that, most things expand as they
melt.

Ice is one of the few solids that is less dense in
solid form than liquid form.

And that's a good thing, otherwise, lakes and oceans would
freeze from the bottom up.