Posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.physics,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default ice cube madness

On Mar 18, 7:30*pm, PD wrote:
On Mar 18, 6:21*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

wrote:
I have a fridge\freezer with an ice maker. The automatic ice maker
storage got high and a single ice cube got
placed behind the large storage tray, it has sat there for a while,
but started getting smaller, now it is
almost nothing.

What causes this cube to get smaller in an environment that appears to
stay the same?

You've gotten some good answers. *I asked a while back why a glass filled
with ice and water added doesn't overflow when the ice melts if you don't
drink any of the water *I can't for the life of me remember the answer
and am too lazy to Google for it. *It just seemed a curious thing to me.

And the answer is that because ice is less dense than water, the
volume of the ice when it melts (into water) becomes exactly equal to
the volume under the waterline of the icecubes. This is in fact the
discovery that Archimedes made a few years back.

PD

I used to know a lot of facts about Archimedes but something seems to
have displaced that knowledge.