Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some of the best Chinglish I've ever seen....

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:17:28 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Your view/position is both reasonable and logical and is
therefore highly in management's "world view."

I have seen this happen repeatedly in technical areas, where the
"suits" had no clue about even the principals involved, the
history/background of a product, or the correct nomenclature, let
alone any relevant "hands on" experience. Never the less they
barked out orders and made command decisions all the time.

Why would they be any different about language? If you can't
understand what they wrote, its your fault, not theirs....

In discussion with a friend who spent his first forty years in Greece,
he told me that after about twenty years working in English, he now,
very rarely, thinks in Greek. OTOH, I have found large problems where
a newly arrived person is presented with a problem, translates that
problem into his mother tongue, thinks it through and formulates his
solution, then translates that solution into his version of English.
This solution is then communicated, complete with accent, to the
original presenter. Heaven help us when a problem requires a multi
level solution!

We had an engineer at Microdyne who's first language was Spanish. You
should have seen the crap test procedures and documentation he wrote.
An engineering tech was Jamaican. Everything he wrote was full of
Jamaican slang and ran on for pages, when a single page would do. I
finally got him to bring the raw copy to the floor and let the techs
review it before it was approved.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html