Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Recommendations for 3+ Ton Arbor Press?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:41:39 -0700, "Will"
wrote:

The biggest problem I have with the 1/2 ton unit is not the pressing force.
The problem is the ram is far too small. I want a ram that is at least 2
in by 2 in, in order to be able to cover most of the metal fixture I need to
flatten under the ram in a single press. Otherwise it is too time
consuming to press so many locations on a warped piece of metal.

To get to my target ram size, what size press would I need? I am guessing
at least three tons, but maybe that size RAM will require larger?

Closer to 5 ton to get a ram that big. I have one like this, I paid
about $200 for it in better shape than this one...

But if you just need more working area, not necessarily a press that
weighs over 400#, get a small die set and operate it with a smaller
press. Lots of choices here for reasonable money:
http://stores.ebay.com/calebfiers_W0...15711884QQtZkm

--
Ned Simmons