Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recommendations for 3+ Ton Arbor Press?

I need an arbor press that is larger and better quality than the toyish
1/2-ton unit we have been using, and I would like some recommendations.

My application is flattening 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick metal fixtures that are
dimensioned about 2 inch by 4 inch length and width, with a 90 degree bend
and an additional 2 by 2 square beyond the bend. Occasionally they will
be stainless, but usually they are a much softer metal.

The biggest problem I have with the 1/2 ton unit is not the pressing force.
The problem is the ram is far too small. I want a ram that is at least 2
in by 2 in, in order to be able to cover most of the metal fixture I need to
flatten under the ram in a single press. Otherwise it is too time
consuming to press so many locations on a warped piece of metal.

To get to my target ram size, what size press would I need? I am guessing
at least three tons, but maybe that size RAM will require larger?

If anyone can recommend some specific brands and models - preferably ones
that are commonly available on used market - I would appreciate references.
What should I expect to pay for a good condition used unit?

--
Will

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:41:39 -0700, "Will"
wrote:

[...]

1/8" stainless may have just taken you from the rehlm of cheap arbor
press and brought you to the world of hydraulic presses. Which are
quite cheap in the powers you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4711

Make your own frame and stick this in it
http://cgi.ebay.com/Areoquip-Press-w-Delta-Power-Hydraulic-pump_W0QQitemZ170202464559QQihZ007QQcategoryZ48718 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On the other hand, you can make up a shoe to go on the end of any
beefy arbor press that can be any footprint you desire. 5 ton would
be good. Maybe.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The biggest problem I have with the 1/2 ton unit is not the pressing force.
The problem is the ram is far too small. I want a ram that is at least 2
in by 2 in, in order to be able to cover most of the metal fixture I need to
flatten under the ram in a single press. Otherwise it is too time
consuming to press so many locations on a warped piece of metal.

To get to my target ram size, what size press would I need? I am guessing
at least three tons, but maybe that size RAM will require larger?

Closer to 5 ton to get a ram that big. I have one like this, I paid
about $200 for it in better shape than this one...

But if you just need more working area, not necessarily a press that
weighs over 400#, get a small die set and operate it with a smaller
press. Lots of choices here for reasonable money:
http://stores.ebay.com/calebfiers_W0...15711884QQtZkm

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:41:39 -0700, the renowned "Will"
wrote:

I need an arbor press that is larger and better quality than the toyish
1/2-ton unit we have been using, and I would like some recommendations.

My application is flattening 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick metal fixtures that are
dimensioned about 2 inch by 4 inch length and width, with a 90 degree bend
and an additional 2 by 2 square beyond the bend. Occasionally they will
be stainless, but usually they are a much softer metal.

The biggest problem I have with the 1/2 ton unit is not the pressing force.
The problem is the ram is far too small. I want a ram that is at least 2
in by 2 in, in order to be able to cover most of the metal fixture I need to
flatten under the ram in a single press. Otherwise it is too time
consuming to press so many locations on a warped piece of metal.

The 3-ton generic Chinese larger press I have has a 1.5" square ram.
The ram is not particularly hard, and I've drilled and tapped 10-32
screw holes into the sides of it. But.. I am not sure it would be up
to what you have in mind. I think I paid about $130 for it (new in
crate). Grizzly sells something similar G4020 for $129. + shipping.

To get to my target ram size, what size press would I need? I am guessing
at least three tons, but maybe that size RAM will require larger?

If anyone can recommend some specific brands and models - preferably ones
that are commonly available on used market - I would appreciate references.
What should I expect to pay for a good condition used unit?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany