Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Reinventing the wheel!

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:07:50 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:47:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I've only seen 1 picture of one which cut the side rather than the
top, and I didn't see any reference to a replaceable lid in the ad.
It doesn't seem possible to split a can at one point and expect the
metal to stretch on one and shrink on the other. Not safely, anyway.

The lid already fits inside the can, and is affixed and sealed by
rolling a bead. The can opener cuts the bead radially on the outside
edge. The lid stays in the can after it's opened but lifts out
easily -- and can be replaced. There's even a little pliers-like jaw
on the can opener to grab the lid part of the severed bead and lift
out the lid.

Ah, consternation turns to elucidation. (Quid Mulberg in plano?)
That's a heavy-duty opener if it cuts the bead. I'll have to check
those doohickeys out.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs