Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Union productivity..... not!

Jon Anderson wrote:

Wes wrote:

I hate unions, but I have the feeling that the decline of unions may end
soon. For a long time, companies worked hard to keep their employees happy
enough to not want a union, now there is a trend that says the Union is
dead, the company can do what it wants to. There will be pushback.

I hate them too. And I agree with you on this score. Here in
Grass Valley there are no big time players as in larger
manufacturing areas. But many employers have a "you're lucky
to be working up here at all, I have a stack of resumes from
people that would love to have your job" mentality. That's
why I struck out on my own years ago.

Heard the same line at Microdyne about two years before L3-com bought
them. They hired an efficiency expert, and his second day he called a
meeting of all the techs. His opening line was, there are at least 100
techs in Orlando who want your jobs. We laughed and told him to either
let us get back to work, or to shut the place down and move the plant to
Orlando.

When L3-Com did close the plant and moved the work to a new plant in
Pennsylvania they quickly discovered that they couldn't build most of
the Microdyne products. The 200+ employees they laid off new how to do
the work, but the documentation couldn't teach a whole new staff how to
do the different jobs.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html