Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Bob Vila & This old house

Anthona wrote:

Years ago when Bob Vila was in the Old house, he left because he said
that he didn't like the way the show was going..building and repairing
luxury homes only.

Pfffft, that's a nice cover story. He didn't leave, he got canned because
he started doing commercial endorsements based on the celebrity he had from
TOH.

I agree then and still agree, the way they show how
perfect they can make million dollar homes look great is sickening.
How many of us can afford such luxury? Maybe they felt some guilt and
now show another show right after that, "Ask this old house"...which
is fine. But so far i have never noticed them visiting someone in a
city, like NY or Chicago...its always a private home in some boon
docks areas.

Not always, I agree they do too many high-priced projects but they also
tackle more modest homes, it seems like a 50-50 split to me. They're
currently doing a shotgun single in New Orleans, last year they did a
low-rent townhouse in Philly (?) and a reasonable house in Austin and that
two-owner house in Boston, none of those struck me as mansions. My
impression is they do one over-the-top home each season. I agree the ATOH
feature is of particular use to the average homeowner. And regardless of
what the the total cost of the job is, the ideas and skill you can pick up
watching them do the work are always useful.