Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Reinventing the wheel!

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:47:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:25:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:38:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:56:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

That's why I bought it. The Chinese crap didn't look like it would
last a year.

one thing I find annoying with can openers in general is that cans seem to
be shrinking in metal thickness and some can openers can't deal with the
thin cans.

If that's so, "adjust" your can opener with a hammer.

I love the concept of the can opener that cuts the top off from the
side.
There are several on the market that do this, allowing you to use the
top of the can as a replaceable lid.

I've only seen 1 picture of one which cut the side rather than the
top, and I didn't see any reference to a replaceable lid in the ad.
It doesn't seem possible to split a can at one point and expect the
metal to stretch on one and shrink on the other. Not safely, anyway.

The lid already fits inside the can, and is affixed and sealed by
rolling a bead. The can opener cuts the bead radially on the outside
edge. The lid stays in the can after it's opened but lifts out
easily -- and can be replaced. There's even a little pliers-like jaw
on the can opener to grab the lid part of the severed bead and lift
out the lid.