Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default still work out there - MN

On Mar 17, 10:27*am, Wes wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote:
"The Kid" got laid off Thursday. Last day of work on Friday. He's got a ton
o' payments - house, car, student loan, credit cards.

It took him till 10:00 A.M. today to get another good job. He's lead man -
programmer, setup, order tooling etc. in a five man shop. Quite a change
from the large corporation. Pay is close to the same at $25 but little OT,
vs. 10 - 20 hours before.

Glad that your son was able to rapidly gain another job. *I hope he took
reflection on how his choices and obligations require a fairly constant
stream of income.

Ask him how long he could have lasted if the economy was totally down and he
had to rely on unemployement and savings.

Your son has good marketable skills but he needs to always keep in mind what
would happen if... *If you get hurt outside of work, most places don't keep
you on for long and poof goes the health insurance unless you can make the
cobra payments.

He needs to have a reserve fund in liquid funds. *Hopefully he has it but I
bet he doesn't.

Wes

I should add that Wes is giving some EXCELLENT advice.

I know far too many people with similar qualifications who have been
unemployed for well over a year...and their rainy day funds are long
gone.

TMT