Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Reinventing the wheel!

Roger_N wrote:
I often see comments about "Reinventing the wheel" on replies to questions
about making something that is manufactured. One time I asked about making
something on the knifemaking newsgroup and got a response about reinventing
the wheel. What? Them guys make knives! Like there is some kind of knife
shortage?

What about all the new aluminum flashlights? Did Mag-Lite and Brinkman
waste their time reinventing the flashlight? Why does West Coast Choppers
waste their time reinventing the motorcycle. And then there are ... wheels,
you can buy all kinds of sporty wheels for automobiles, those companies
really are reinventing the wheel!

If it wasn't for "reinventing the wheel" we'd only have stone wheels with
one choice of tire for only one make and model of automobile. So much for
building a better mousetrap, why reinvent the mousetrap?

Don't get me wrong, these replies usually inform the OP of a product like
they are wanting to make, and often very helpful. But there are new
inventions and about everything else is "reinventing the wheel".
Reinventing the wheel give opportunity for improvment and variety.

rant_mode = off

:-)

RogerN
Appreciating those who build a better mousetrap!

I remember a fellow using that expression on me.

He said CP/M already had everything a user could want.
Why reinvent the wheel...