Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_5_] SteveB[_5_] is offline

Default Battery question

"Vaughn Simon" wrote

As far as charging goes, most batteries will tolerate a 6 amp charge, but
if you have any doubts, go with 2 amps.

But even a 2 amp "dumb" charger will eventually overcharge and ruin your
battery if left connected and forgotten. The best way I have found to
store any lead acid battery is by leaving it connected to a special
"float" charger. In any case, the battery should always be stored fully
charged.

Vaughn

My charger is a Dayton. A pretty decent charger I think. It has settings
for starting, 10, 6, and 2 amps. But there's a needle to show how many amps
it is actually charging at. You can put it on ten, and the needle might
point to only six. Then as it charges up, the needle drops to zero. Looks
to me like it senses the charge, and tapers off.

Steve