Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Battery question

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:52:09 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:47:13 -0500, Ignoramus4762
wrote:

A marine battery is not well suitable for starting motors, I am
speaking from experience. It may even work sometimes, fooling you into
thinking that you can just use it. until you find that sometimes it
cannot.

I would go with a pickup truck battery.

Now Ive got a battery question for the group.

My Lincoln Ranger 9 welder doesnt have a battery yet. Ive not had the
time to resolve the charging issue yet, but will shortly.

What size battery is proper for an 18hp engine? I put an Autozone
garden tractor battery on the 4000 watt Onan a couple weeks ago, when
I skid mounted it and set it up for home backup power. It starts the
Onan pretty well, and also the Ranger 9. But Id like to know what is
the proper size.

Gunner

What current does the starter draw when the engine is cold?
You want to excede that cranking current by about 10% minimum in CCA
rating if you will be operating in cold conditions, or excede the CA
rating by about 15% for warm only conditions. (cca is Cold Cranking
Amps - 30 seconds at 0 C degrees)(ca is cranking amps (also known as
Marine Cranking Amps) - rated at 0 F, and HCA is Hot Cranking Amps,
rated at 80 F) AH rating is not really usefull for starting
batteries. Reserve Capacity rating is also good to know - how many
minutes it will support a 25 amp load before dropping below 10.5 volts
(under load).

In automotive use it is general practice to spec a battery with
roughly the same, or slightly greater CCA rating as the displacement
in cubic inches. Up here where it gets cold, that seems to work pretty
good.

for torturing the cat." Gunner