Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Battery question

On Mar 16, 11:52*am, Gunner Asch wrote:

What size battery is proper for an 18hp engine? ...
Gunner

One of the two dozen or so fatal defects in my free 18HP garden
tractor was the old dead battery, a Workaholic SP-18R of 180CA
capacity. I put it on a higher-voltage charger and brought back the
one low cell, then equalized all of them and matched the gravity, and
used it for two more years of hard, cold starting to plow after
snowstorms and pulling logs with an electric winch. I retired it only
when its capacity fell too low to reliably crank the engine after a
long pull with the winch. Luckily I was in a neighbor's back yard when
that happened, not deep in the woods.

The advice I've heard is to use the largest battery that fits if you
need to start dependably, but you can go cheaper if it's possible to
jump start.

Jim Wilkins