Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth?

Ian White wrote:

In terms of safety benefit per cost it might save one or 2 lives per
century, making it not much more use than earthing the aspidistra plant,

No, you've got it all wrong! The soil in the aspidistra pot *is* the
earth connection, because it's always like totally connected with the
Mother Planet. House bricks are deeply aware of this too.

Well thats true of course - but being disconnected form mother
earth makes it feel out of balance, so it needs earthing to avoid
falling over and dying. Nothing to do with need for sun & water,
those are just foolish old ideas.

I wonder what the capacitance to earth is for a pith ball the size of
an aspidistra, and thus whether it might have made any diference
on medium wave. Fraid I'm a bit rusty on pith ball capacitor
formulae.

I guess on a dc mains set the plant may have been positively
charged, thu attracting more dust and any nutrients in it too

NT