Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Neutral and Earth wrong way round

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 03:31:38 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be
wrote this:-

I'm been slowly checking all the sockets in my new house (1930s). In
one socket I found the neutral wires were in the earth terminal and
the earth in the neutral!!! How could this work? I thought any current
feeding back through earth would trip the circuit beaker.

There are several types of circuit breaker. They work in different
ways to detect certain types of fault. Without more information on
what sort of circuit breaker you are talking about it is impossible
to say whether it should have detected that particular fault.

What sort of things are written on it?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh