Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Roger is offline

Default Earth?

The message
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Boxed in a bath with T&G yesterday. Fitted the side panel & was measuring
for the end panel when I saw this
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/earth002.jpg

An earth wire screwed into the wall.

Whilst boxing in the side I noticed earth bonding cables connected to the
bath feed pipes, but didn't pay much attention to them. What would be the
purpose of an earth cable fixed to a brick wall?

Show?

When I was thinking about changing my 3 way fuse box many years ago I
followed an earth wire heading downwards and found it terminated wrapped
round a rusty nail pushed into a joint in the stonework. So I obtained a
4 foot copper earth rod and hammered it into the ground (the floor was
up for replacement at the time).

It wasn't until some time later that I found that there was also an
earth running straight through the wall to the meter box and I am still
not sure whether the earth rod is necessary (or even counter
productive).

--
Roger Chapman