Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Happened?

mac davis wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:54:21 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

LRod wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:39:44 -0700 (PDT), GROVER
wrote:

I thought this group was about woodworking. I'm not terribly
interested in Prada, Gucci, YSL et al. Peddlers should move to
Hester
Street.

Damn! We'll get right on that and make 'em stop...

To paraphrase Captain Kirk, (holding forefinger vertically in air) "If
they spam this group one more time" (extend arm to horizontal in a
pointing gesture) "SCREW THEM".

--

I think my favorite Kirk quote might apply also.. "Beam me up Scotty,
there are no intelligent life forms down here"..

As much as I hate spam, I think I hate the folks that buy things from them
more..
They have to make money on this or they would stop spamming, right?

You'd think, wouldn't you? The thing is that the cost of spamming is so
low, that they don't need more than a very small response rate to be making
money. The required rate is orders of magnitude lower than any other
advertising medium.

Set Mom & Dad up with internet access last summer. They didn't get too
much spam and I warned about responding to unknown e-mails. Unfortunately,
one of those spams purportedly came from JC Penney, a place Mom shops,
offering a $10 gift card for response. I think Mom got a pretty hard
lesson on the kinds of things being sold over the internet. Spam jumped to
100+ e-mails a day. I had to change their e-mail address and disable the
old one. The good news is that this was a small matter (Mom and Dad are
thankfully very paranoid regarding their finances, so I'm not worried about
them responding to any Nigerian scams) and they both emerged much more
internet savvy from this experience. My point is that even a live e-mail
address is apparently considered of value, so some of the money comes from
just harvesting addresses.