Renata

Default SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

I got to thinking about why this sticks in my craw so much when
mandated air bags don't. Several thoughts.

First of all, this thing is apparently not something that one can add
aftermarket to an existing saw - that's not what they invented
(right?). Instead, they have something that would entail a
manufacturer changing their product to accomodate their invention. Or
buy SS's own saw. This is probably a major reason that it's not a big
hit. So, they're trying to ram it down our throats rather than, say,
modifying the design to be installable aftermarket.

I can see certain places encountering a liablity if a product such as
the saw stop was available and not purchased - like high school shops.

Now, the comparison with air bags is kinda fuzzy. For one thing,
could it be air bags were not immediately a hit because of their cost,
particularly in proportion to the overall vehicle cost? Personally,
I'm kinda glad that they're installed and don't have such a negative
reaction on the mandate for such. Because, as safe as I may drive,
someday I may come across the idiot in the other vehicle who smacks my
car and this will be completely beyond my control. But also, I don't
think there's only one manufacturer of air bags.

There's just something wrong with the sole entity who stands to gain
financial benefit trying to secure mandated regulation so that folks
are forced to buy their product.

Renata

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:45:58 GMT, "Gary Milliorn"
wrote:

Well, they said they were going to force it down the consumer's throats.
Here's
the filing with the Federal Register, as of today, Jul 9:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...3/03-17327.htm

The CPSC filing is "CP03-2", and here are their filings:

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...f/Tablesaw.pdf
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...ladesawpt1.pdf
http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...ladesawpt2.pdf

As far as I can interpret the Federal Register filing, there is a 60-day
window of opportunity
for commenting on the proposed mandatory inclusion of SawStops proprietary
technology in all US-sold tablesaws.

Regards,
Gary