kenR

Default SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article ,
says...
"Robert Bonomi" bonomi@c-ns. wrote in message
*EXCEPT* that anything that meets the 'petition' specifications is covered

by
_their_ PATENT.

Thus, _effectively_, giving them a *monopoly* of the market.

No, it doesn't. The proposed regulation would dictate what a saw safety
device would hve to do. It does not say HOW it must be done. If someone
else can come up with a different product that achieves the same performance
goals in a different way, they would meet the definitions in the regulation
and would not violate SawStop's patent.

Again, a monopoly is not created just because someone is first to the market
with a new product. If that were the case, there would never be another new
innovation!

If you were to look closely at the proposed Spec., you would see that it
would be fairly impossible to meat it without either violating the
patent, or licensing it. I've seen enough lockout spec's in my time to
spot this one a mile away.