Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default Transporting 2 tons in a 1 ton pickup truck

"Pete C." wrote in news:HblCj.2951$6H.427
@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

Dan wrote:

At any rate, if you don't believe me, it's easy enough to test in a
parking lot with your own truck. Just load a bunch of concrete blocks
for the loaded portion of the test.

We were talking about an overloaded vehicle. Of course the brakes are
more efficient at rated GVW as opposed to an empty truck. The brakes
are designed to be 100% efficient at RATED GVW, but we were talking
about 2 tons in a 1 ton pickup truck and that don't make the brakes
more eficient.
Look at the subject line.
Did you come in the middle off the discussion?

On pretty much every "1 ton" pickup, the listed GVW is *not* the true
rating of the axles, brakes or suspension. Quite often the listed GVW is
10,000# to avoid the additional regs that come into play at 10,001#.
Therefore loading the vehicle past the listed 10,000# does not mean that
it is physically overloaded.

My "1-ton" Dodge 3500 dually has a manufacturer's GVWR of 12,000 pounds, a
rear axle rated at 10,000 pounds, a total tire load capacity on the rear
axle of 12,999 pounds, and a "build weight" of 7,340 pounds.

Hauling 4,000 pounds would NOT overload this truck. grin

As others have said, the "1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton" nomenclature is both
misleading and out-of-date.

Today's trucks are, generally, capable of hauling double the weight of
similar models produced when the nomenclature was first introduced.