Posted to uk.d-i-y
BRG[_2_] BRG[_2_] is offline

Default Water seal for door.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I have a south facing roof terrace and a combination of south winds
and rain sees water forced in under the inwards opening door. The
door is a custom made wood one in a wood frame. There is already a
drip bar on the bottom of the door and an aluminium strip with
matching rebate in the door - about an inch high - running across the
threshold in an attempt to stop this. But any wind just whips the
water over this. What obviously is needed is some form of positive
seal. The door is a very good fit already so there isn't room for a
stick on rubber one.

My thinking is a rebated in magnetic one. Is this the way to go and
any sources and info - or any alternatives? I'm running out of
gaffer tape...

Dave,

Is the "aluminium strip" something like that of a Stromguard waterbar
(threshold)? If it is, try putting a 6mm x 6mm plough grove under the
bottom rail of the door and over 'drip tray' of the aluminium strip - this
stops the water being blown across the bottom rail and allows it to fall and
drain out through the strips (stormguards) weepholes.

If the 'strip' is simply a flat bar, then try the groove trick in front of
that - *if* there's enough room - or simly replace the strip for a
Stormguard waterbar and that, along with the plough groove, usually works in
the worst of weathers.

BRG