Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Transporting 2 tons in a 1 ton pickup truck

On 2008-03-14, SteveB wrote:
Thought my Dodge 2500 Cummins short bed would haul more than it will. I
need to bring home two pallets of pavers. One weighs 2800# the other
2600#.
I wouldn't consider two at once because of the loading. They would have
push one pallet in with the other to get them both on the truck. That
would
gouge the bedliner. But I just checked the Dodge site, and payload is
3410#.

It probably would not gouge the bedliner. Or you can always throw a
piece of plywood.

I am going to pick up another 4,500 lbs power supply tomorrow, it is
destined to go to scrap after I remove fun parts such as the huge
circuit breaker, water cooled thyristors and Size 6 contactor.

Moments like this, make one appreciative of trailers.

I ran a forklift for quite a few years. I was OSHA certified up to 10,000#
lift, but operated a 3500# capacity for a very long time. Convention
freight. One day was 20 hours long. 12 was common.

This is a paint on bed liner. I would tell any person I was going to load
this skid on that I thought it would gouge the truck. I certainly don't
want them to skid it into mine to find out which one of us is correct here.
I am going to make sure BEFORE I pay for the pavers that the operator and
tines are capable of lifting it so that they can place it far enough into
the bed so I can close the tailgate, and so that they don't have to skid it,
or hit the tail gate.

*Remove* the tailgate during the loading. It only takes a minute to do,
provides at least 18" further reach into the bed for a forklift that
doesn't have extension, and insures the forklift won't crunch the
tailgate. The forklift can generally press up against the bumper without
doing any damage.