Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default American Beech, to buy or not to buy.

Fred the Red Shirt wrote in
:

On Mar 11, 7:58 am, Charlie Self wrote:

*trim*

Ash and maple have high elasticity. I don't know
what beech does in that area (and can't find my research material
right now), but it's the kind of thing needed to make a good ball
bat, the ability to take a shock and rebound. So, if you can find
your copy of the FPL wood book, check beech for elasticity and shock
resistance. From what I'm told, it can be a bitch to turn, too,
because of the grain.

It's not as hard as either and substantially lighter than both
I think. My guess would be that it is not as stiff (lower Young's
modulus) as either and thus would make a 'soft' bat,
optimized for grounding out and infield flies, maybe OK
for bunting.

I wonder if NL pitchers ever considered this?

I was a bit surprised to learn about the maple bats, maple
splits rather easily.

It's a specific type of maple, Rock Maple. It's apparently difficult to
find in baseball bat-friendly size and grain orientation.

http://www.redsoxsanta.com/article.cfm/id/58187

Apparently they also use Sugar Maple:
http://www.baseball-bats.net/basebal.../baseball-bat-
materials/index.html