Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Transporting 2 tons in a 1 ton pickup truck

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:13:14 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:07:17 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Dan@
(Dan ) quickly quoth:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:21:16 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Dan wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:02:06 -0500, Ignoramus25581
wrote:

I think that it is insane and would not do it or approve of it. Here's
the story.

There is a guy who wants to transport two pallets, with the total
weight of 5,000 lbs, in the bed of his one ton pickup truck. (100 bags
of concrete)

5,000 lbs is over 2 tons.

The truck is "one ton" truck like a Ford F-350.

Does he stand any chance at all of not breaking his pickup with a
double rated load???

The rating of the brakes also plays in to the GVW.

Yes, but for a pickup in particular, the braking gets better with more
weight due to the much improved rear wheel traction.

Not true at all.

Seeing as 65-70% of braking happens at the front wheels, I tend to
agree with you, Dan. Some additional traction is provided, but not
much on an emergency stop. All that weight goes away from the rear
axle. Additionally, any traction gained is lost when going around a
corner at any speed, when centripetal ("centrifugal" to you old dogs
forces take over, trying to break the springs and send the truck
off the road upside down.

On an empty pickup over 80% of the braking in on the front wheels.
With load proportional braking it is often very close to 100%.
Putting a load on every pickup I've ever owned has improved the
braking up to the point where the added load overpowers the extra
braking capacity. On a half ton truck that generally starts to happen
around one ton or a little better.(depending how forward you can load
the weight)
Two tons on a half ton starts to get pretty hairy. Most half tons do
not have heavy enough tires - and you need to have significant
pressure if you are going to load that heavy. My dad had 2 tons of
fresh cut firedood on his F150 coming down out of the woodlot and
rolled 2 tires right off the rim. I had to go out and jack it up and
put air back in the tires - put them up to about 45psi and sent him,
carefully, on his way home (about 18 miles of good roads) The truck
sat dead level, but very low and he kept it under 50mph. Said he still
had a LITTLE bit of suspension, and the brakes knew he had a load.

Then again, he drove his little Toyota - I think it was a 1 ton
(wonton) but may have been a 3/4 with 2 tons on it virtually all the
time with no issues at all for over 3 years - at highway speeds and
all kinds of roads.(3/4" plywood box full of electrical supplies,
tools, wire, etc for electrical contracting business)