Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Transporting 2 tons in a 1 ton pickup truck

Greg O wrote:
"Ignoramus25581" wrote in message
I think that it is insane and would not do it or approve of it. Here's
the story.

There is a guy who wants to transport two pallets, with the total
weight of 5,000 lbs, in the bed of his one ton pickup truck. (100 bags
of concrete)

5,000 lbs is over 2 tons.

The truck is "one ton" truck like a Ford F-350.

Does he stand any chance at all of not breaking his pickup with a
double rated load???

The big question is what does the door sticker give for GVRW, the weight
the truck empty, then do the math.
Most 1/2 ton pickups will easily haul 1500 lbs. Most 3/4 ton pickups
will haul close to 3000 lbs. A one ton should easily haul. 4000 lbs,
better if you can get the weight forward.
A few years back I worked for a chemical company and drove a one ton
Chevy van. The door sticker was 9800 lbs gross IIRC. The van weighed
~6000 lbs. The difference is 3800 lbs. I ran from Minneapolis, to Fargo
ND one time with over 5000 lbs in the back. Now I admit, I felt it was
over loaded, but I aired up the tires, and ran the speed limit for the
250 miles.
As far as I am concerned a one ton dually should handle 5000 lbs just
fine.
For what ever it is worth, Chevy rates a 2008 3500 dually at 5100 lb
payload.

I'd say the terrain and road conditions make
a difference as well. 250 miles flat and level
freeway is one thing, 20 miles of dirt logging
road would be quite another.