Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Transporting 2 tons in a 1 ton pickup truck

On 2008-03-12, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus25581 wrote:

I think that it is insane and would not do it or approve of it. Here's
the story.

There is a guy who wants to transport two pallets, with the total
weight of 5,000 lbs, in the bed of his one ton pickup truck. (100 bags
of concrete)

5,000 lbs is over 2 tons.

The truck is "one ton" truck like a Ford F-350.

Does he stand any chance at all of not breaking his pickup with a
double rated load???

The 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton designations are pretty meaningless these days.
Check the actual ratings label on the door of the truck for the real
ratings. A 1T SRW and DRW have different capacities for example, though
they are both "1T" trucks. The door label will have the GVWR and axle
ratings.

In this particular case, I thin 5,000# is pushing it a bit. If the trip
is short it will probably be fine even if it is over GVWR since the
components regularly deal with shock loads higher than that. If it's a
DRW the cargo capacity is probably around 3k#-4k#, somewhat less for
SRW. Also check if the tires are of an appropriate load range, sometimes
people put tires on for looks, not load and they may not be up to the
job. Personally, I'd put one pallet in the truck and the other on a
trailer.

Thanks. Like I said, it was not my truck and not my idea. I could just
put both pallets on my trailer id I was the person to move it.

The images that ran through my head were wheels falling off, and such.

If I was in his place, without a trailer, I would just make two trips.

My truck is a 3500 DRW, it's curb weight is just about 7,000# and it's
GVWR is 10,000# so off the bat it has 3,000# cargo capacity. This isn't
all there is to it either though, because the 10,000# rating is really
bogus to keep it out of the commercial class that starts at 10,001#. The
actual axle ratings total 12,000#, so while you might be riding on the
overload springs, with 5,000# of reasonably distributed cargo and sane
driving, the wheels wouldn't be falling off.

I forgot to add:

Operating over weight ratings is a bad thing for a commercial vehicle
which is subject to weigh stations, more regulations and fines.

Operating over GVW with a private non-commercial vehicle, while not a
great thing, isn't a huge issue and is unfortunately very common with
RVs, though RVers are getting more attentive to such things and visiting
the truck scales more frequently to verify their weights.