Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default 2-cycle oil mix ratio question.

wrote:
On Mar 10, 11:29 pm, " Frank" wrote:
I have too many small 2-cycle engines and keeping track of the
oil/fuel mixture ratios in all the different gas tanks is getting to
be a chore. I now have ratios of 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1, with
factory recommendation of regular gas for one engine and premium gas
for another, so putting the wrong fuel into the wrong engine is very
likely giving enough time. Someone posted sometime ago that he only
use one ratio with one particular type of oil and never had problems
over a long period of time with various 2-cycle engine. Anyone know
what this ratio and type of oil are or would like to comment? Thanks
for reading.

Using premium gas in all your tools won't hurt anything, and there is
no such thing as too much oil. One mix, 25:1, 93 octane. Done.

Premium gas (higher octane) is of lower quality than low-octane gas. It has
fewer fast burning, low ignition hydrocarbons. In other words, the really
good stuff (mostly heptane and hexane) is diluted with harder-to-burn
contaminants (octane, paraffin, tar, coal dust, whatever). I guess, by
extension, if you could find "sooper-dooper premium," you wouldn't HAVE to
add oil.

But, "premium" gas costs more, so people buy it.