Posted to rec.woodworking
bookman[_2_] bookman[_2_] is offline

Default American Beech, to buy or not to buy.

On Mar 10, 6:51 pm, "George" wrote:
A big beech tree provided a lot of wood where a chunk the size of
a plane could have them that way. The smaller stuff not so much. Now the
bigger trees we've been "conserving" have caught some nasty virus, so we're
pretty much limited to smaller stuff.

I have an Ohio Tool beech wooden bodied plane that is
85+ years old and still in great shape. It only needed
a small amount of sanding to flatten. It's hard to tell
but it looks quarter sawn. Would the current "smaller
stuff" still be classified as sons' of beeches?