Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default American Beech, to buy or not to buy.

On Mar 11, 12:59 am, Puckdropper wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote :

That makes a lot of sense.

I'll add that beech has an interlocking grain that resists splitting,
which is important when tapping a wedge into a square cornered
mortise to hold a plane iron in place.

*snip*

How is it hardness wise? Would it be worth turning a baseball bat out of
it?

FWIW, I think most bats now are an ash or maple.

I didn't know about the maple, but it makes sense. Beech might work,
but the grain is variable...interlocked in one area, straight in
another. Too, it's another wood where quartersawing works best--and is
the most attractive. Ash and maple have high elasticity. I don't know
what beech does in that area (and can't find my research material
right now), but it's the kind of thing needed to make a good ball bat,
the ability to take a shock and rebound. So, if you can find your copy
of the FPL wood book, check beech for elasticity and shock resistance.
From what I'm told, it can be a bitch to turn, too, because of the
grain.